Monday, July 22, 2024

Not much going on, just trucking along

 Things have been quite routine lately, and as such there's been a dearth of things to write about, but here goes.

We typically drive down the canyon and into town for a shop-up once a week. This keeps us in fresh fruits and vegetables plus our dairy & eggs - we eat well πŸ₯­πŸ’πŸ“πŸand love our morning fruit bowl. I keep a selection of fruits all cut up and ready to pour into a bowl, but it's hard not to get carried away and end up with too much. (1st world problem I know. God is good!)

The neighbor next door has a big raspberry patch under the tongue
of his 5th wheel. Occasionally, I pick a few, lol. πŸ˜‰

The roads down the canyon(s) are very pretty and offer a nice change of scenery. Here's a shot from one we took the other day.



This road comes out into the south end of town by the Horsetooth reservoir. There's always a lot of cyclists out enjoying the ups and downs of the road, especially in July with the Tour de France underway. Speaking of which, this year the coverage is on Peacock rather than on the network station. That means we have to get our news & highlights via Youtube, and only get an abbreviated look at the action and the scenery. πŸ˜’😠 Man, I hope it's not like that next year - I guess that will depend on the ratings. It's a bummer that they put the coverage on a subscription channel.

It's been a crazy cottonwood season - I thought I'd throw in a shot of a tree branch that fell down. It looks like snowflakes when the wind catches it and it gets blown around.

Cottonwood branch

I bought a big bag of Yukon gold potatoes the other day, as we use them for homefries, put them into stews and of course, make our Italian sausage and potato soup. It's a favorite combined with a small salad for a lighter supper. I thought I'd try mashing some of the cubes up then putting them flat in a baggie and freezing them. It worked out well when after a couple of weeks I got them out and made the soup, saved a lot of time/effort. I use some beef stock granules when cooking the potatoes.


I almost always have cooked, cubed pot's handy,
just add the mashed and cooked sausage, plus milk,
stock and a few more ingredients and you've got soup.


See, I told you nothing much is going on, haha. Our big excitement in the past week was a huge, intense thunderstorm with hail! Luckily, none of the hail was bigger than a good-sized pea. The ground definitely got a good soaking, but the flowers took a beating, especially the petunia's. We've thought about making a pool noodle car cover, lol, seriously!!


That was a lot of hail!

The weather otherwise has been great, quite cool in the morning's but warming up nicely. We debated taking the electric blanket off the bed but decided to wait. Last night it went down to 39° and there's more of that in the offing. I'm OK with cooler weather, we have our electric fireplace and heater for the mornings and our A/C for the afternoons, lol. At 7200' the sun gets hot and intense on a summer day.

So that's about it for now, hopefully I'll have something a little more exciting, or at least more interesting, next time out. Thanks for dropping by and I hope the weather where you are is decent. There have been a lot of vicious storms and floods and stuff out there, whew! Take care and see you later. 😊☀️


8 comments:

  1. You have a great spot up there so if you have to put up with some hail and cool overnight temps, I guess you'll survive in happy land! It's lovely. I like the pool noodle idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would take the hail over 103 degrees any day. I rarely buy potatoes because they don't last long enough for me to eat. I never thought of freezing them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, 103° is pretty steep! I just hate seeing the holes poked into my flower faces from the hail. Freezing those mashed was a 1st for me, it worked great.

      Delete
  3. Cottonwoods are pretty cool trees, I love how big they get, but their cotton is so annoying! We used to light it on fire as kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet it'd make some good firestarter especially if it had a smear of vaseline on it.

      Delete
  4. I freeze mashed potatoes all the time, so easy to reheat in the microwave and you can't tell the difference to fresh. It's good that you are in a routine, no need for extra travel when you are already in a beautiful setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Routines are good. I do miss my big freezer. This little one is full of meat and I can barely sneak in some side dishes or stews -
      cooking plays a big part in my entertainment out here. πŸ˜‹

      Delete