Wednesday, January 3, 2024

A quiet Holiday Season

 It's been some pretty low-key Holidays this year, which is pretty much the way we like them. A modest amount of decorating and gift-giving plus some sumptuous meals is the way we roll. Not quite so overwhelming to take down and put away. Of course if we had grandkids or great-grans here in town I'm sure we would elaborate more on the decorations and activities. 

I saw a YT video done by this gentleman who makes metal coat-hanger Christmas trees as a fundraiser for his church. Link is here. I thought they turned out so cute that I decided to make one to go by the fireplace. Here's mine "in situ". I think it turned out pretty! πŸ˜Œ

I used 3 strands of garland braided together and colored lights.

We had a mostly sunny day for our Christmas dinner in the Florida Room. The Boss pours wine for us.

An all-time favorite of the day; turkey, dressing, rice/gravy
plus steamed broccoli, cranberries, olives, and rolls.

Our Christmas table decorations, minimalist to be sure. My 
Mother-in-law used to set a beautiful Holiday table.

I'm enjoying being back into "puzzling" - I find it very relaxing for in-between chore times. The latest one to be finished.


On New Year's Eve our neighborhood had a nice, small fireworks display. Basically one at a time, but since it was held at the far end of the field across from our house it was great! Here's a shot taken by a neighbor who lives on the other side of the lake.


Changing out the table decorations - LOL, cheap thrills.

I swapped out my Christmas table decorations for some more appropriate for New Year's. Now the table looks right. We had the prerequisite 'good luck' New Year's meal of smoked pork chops, blackeyed peas, collards and of course, cornbread. We also had some rice and a fresh tomato salad. YUM!


I did a couple of runs of canning this past week. I wanted to practice cooking dried beans, (I usually use canned), so I decided to fix pinto beans with carrots, onions and ham and can them up for easy meal prep. Served over rice with some garlic toast makes for a tasty meal.

I also had a big bag of yukon gold potatoes, and since we love potato soup and salad for a lighter meal, I thought I'd make up my Italian sausage & potato soup base, (no cream or thickeners when canning), and get that on the shelf too. It just came out of the canner so the jars haven't been washed/labelled yet. When serving, I'll add a cornstarch and cream slurry, plus some shredded sharp cheddar to make it a cream soup.

Last fall when we came back from out west, (mid-afternoon), by the time we got situated it was supper time. Luckily I had some chili on the shelf that I had previously canned ready to heat and eat. So handy.



All that being said, we wish you a Merry Christmas and a very Happy & Blessed New Year. Thanks for stopping by.

6 comments:

  1. Great job on the coat hanger tree, that is really cool. Hope you have a happy and healthy 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the tree didn't take long to gen-up. You have a great new year too. Safe travels!

      Delete
  2. Your fireplace looks so cosy and inviting to sit by. Lovely table decorations and so festive. Happy New Year to you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We like the new fireplace insert - so easy. Happy New Year back at you, and be safe out there.

      Delete
  3. I'm so impressed with your small batch canning. That sausage and potato soup sounds perfect! That coat hanger Christmas tree is pretty cool. You always keep so busy. Your blog is a great inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks for visiting! I have an All American 915 canner so that keeps the batches small. Plus with just the 2 of us, I mostly can in pints. I do like to stay busy. πŸ˜‰

      Delete