Saturday, April 29, 2023

Driveway/walkway freshen-up, gobble work and crafts

 Back in 2015, a couple of years after we switched to being part-time on the sailboat we had the driveway/walkway's refinished in a decorative concrete finish & sealer and it was quite an improvement. Here's the before/after for that.

A sad sight for sure - I hated those white rocks!



2015 - Quite a spiffy-up, looking good.

After many years that lace-like pattern trapped a ton of dust and dirt which hardened & turned it into a dirty looking mess, not to mention the surface cracks reappearing in the concrete. Going off and leaving it for several months at a time didn't help the situation. 😞 I got kind of fed-up about how bad it looked, so to stop my b*tching and complaining about it we bit the bullet and had a different treatment applied. No more dimples, instead a slate-like, smoother texture for easier maintenance.



Big-time pressure wash finished, and now fixing the cracks.

It took a week, luckily we had great weather, and it came out great! Ryan and his crew did a thoroughly professional job, and made no bones about getting our input all along the way to make sure we were happy. Looks a dream again now! 😍

I think I'm going to get some brick stain to breathe a little
life back into my brick paver edging, it's a little washed-out.


If you click on the picture you can see the grid lines & new texture.
Also, in between the 2 doors is the new-to-me floral arrangement.

On to other things that I've been spending time on. Remember that .49¢ per lb turkey I picked up before Thanksgiving? Well, I had to do something with it that didn't involve eating it - too much other stuff to try to eat up before decommissioning the freezers and heading out west. The solution; thaw it out, cut it up and pressure can it using the raw-pack method!

I have a separate piece of plastic I use over my craft table 
when I doing messy work. No lingering contamination that way.


I got 8 nice pint jars out of it and, as they say in the Islands,
"Dat Finish" - whew, happy to have that done, (it wasn't too bad).

Additional things I've been working on are silk floral arrangements, I'm a victim, really! I see these half-way decent straw basket/greenery projects at the thrift for $2.99 and I can't resist - it's a compulsion. 😁 Anyway, I have to bring them home with me and "fix" them. Here's my latest; unfortunately I didn't take a before pic showing all the bare stalks of  greenery in the pretty good basket. It looks quite nice now, I didn't spend more that a couple more bucks on it (Dollar Tree flowers, lol), and I'm using it in the courtyard.

Nice oblong straw basket, now full and pretty

Still on the puzzling train and enjoying it in between bigger projects. Here's the latest. Bigger than usual at 550 pieces, it took more time but was fun. Patsy (https://patsyischillin.blogspot.com/ ) could knock this out in a couple of hours, she's a master puzzler!


In the food arena, we had more beef pot pie, more cookies (pecan & chocolate chip macaroons) and fresh cornbread to go with our baked ham leftovers from the freezer.  I was mentioning to my sister that I may try to source some dry ice and pack an old Omaha Steak cooler with some of our frozen goodies - I still have quite a few steaks and center cut pork chops not to mention roast pork and baked ham. It would make for some easy meals if I could get it out there intact.

Edges got a little dark on me, boo.

A "half recipe" is perfect for us, we usually get at least 3 meals off it.

And finally, building some more fabric squares for some future project.  It's great busy-work and I enjoy it. I'm loving my puff quilt/pillow!

I guess it's going to be purply-blues this go round.

Thanks for the visit, hope to see you again sometime. In the meantime, take care, be safe, count your blessings and have a great day. 


8 comments:

  1. Your driveway and walkway turned out beautiful! I can see you have been busy again in the kitchen and hobby room. Can't wait to see the final puff/quilt pillow project. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we're so pleased with the results and it should last us a good looong time. Sewing the squares almost seems like a compulsion, haha.

      Delete
  2. What a difference with the before and after of your driveway and walkway. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was terrible when we bought the place and those white rocks ARGH! I raked them all out and shoveled the red rocks in by hand. Lots more energy back then, lol.

      Delete
  3. I love how driveway turned out. It is very soothing. I couldn't imagine trying to live in two different homes. The pot pie looks fantastic. I love canned venison. I've never tried turkey. Interesting. What an interesting post. Can't wait to see how you get settled in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The concrete drive is so pretty. It's always so refreshing to get something redone! So very wise to pressure cook and can the turkey! It reminds me so much of my grandmother's pantry with all of her
    preserved foods.......so colorful in jars. Such a lovely floral arrangement.....you have a good eye!
    The pie looks so delicious! Wishing you a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I love those instant gratification projects which is why I'm always happy to pick-up a paint brush when my sweetie asks me to tackle a painting project.

      Delete