Friday, April 2, 2021

Thinking about the way time passes & reminiscing

 Back in December my handy husband and our neighbor re-planked our deck after checking the supporting structures for soundness, and we began the drying out period which would let the pressure-treated wood "air out" and evaporate any excess moisture or chemicals (I'm speculating here) prior to painting. Here's a shot or two.

First half of one side

Deck planking completed


So I was looking back through my annual re-cap posts on the svdreamtime.com site in an effort to see when last we painted the deck railings.  It turns out it was in 2013, but during the search I became amazed at how busy we were back then, how many friends we'd meet up with and how many places we travelled to. We were younger, obviously, but had tons going on, especially once we were half-timing it between the boat and the house.

In comparison, 2020 and this year (so far) have been so static for us, I'm afraid I've lost a step or two (physically and mentally) and will never be able to regain any "normal" oomph.  Yes, I get that we are getting older but I think I've developed a real LAZY streak.  Anyway, after painting the deck I will have to tackle the railings too.  We used Behr Marque paint and it really holds up, so hopefully we'll get another 8 yrs out of it!

I'll show a pic of my last puzzle, then close with a few flowers around the neighborhood and some pics from back in the days of our Caribbean travels.

Really made my crave some donuts!

Amaryllis in a pot

Bottlebrush really popping out

Not sure what these are but they are in the ground,
Get 1-2' tall and bloom all spring/summer it seems.


A collage of shots from the French island called Marie Galante, sister island to Guadeloupe, both about halfway down the island chain.  We did a distillery tour with our good friends Shawn/Joe on 'Libertas'. This is around the town of Capesterre on the southeast corner of this round little island from 2011.

Capesterre, a really pretty little town, especially
from this shot on the hill looking down and out to sea.

Sugarcane and working windmills for grinding the cane.

Wild to see ox-drawn carts used for sugarcane transport.

Hope you enjoyed the visit, see you next time.

4 comments:

  1. Ed sure did a great job with the deck resurface job. I Googled the Behr Marquee paints and there are a lot of options. I am guessing you were using the Advanced DeckOver paint but if you could, I would really appreciate the exact label info. It looks like there are several color choices and perhaps the paint and stain is available here in Canada as well. I have been using a pricey Thompson product with a cedar color and that lasts only one season. Of course we have snow and ice on it but if I could save myself the labour of sanding the deck every spring and repainting, that would be awesome and cost saving to boot.
    As to the yellow flower above, I think it is the "Bush Daisy" of which I bought a couple of pots when we were in FL 19/20 to decorate the RV patio with. I took them home with me and planted them in my garden. They became huge bushes and flowered continuously until frost. I'm not sure they survived our winter though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marlene, The paint we used on the deck way back when was Olympic Rescue-it deck resurfacer. It did alright but we had to recoat every few years due to the wood grain rising up (the deck was old when we moved in) and forming cracks. The railings however were painted with the Behr Marque. This time we are using the Behr Premium Advanced Deckover (5 gal is $160.00 US). I'll post a pic when we finish the painting. Hopefully with new deck planks the paint will hold up for a few years. Sanding and repainting each year, what a job! Thanks for the name of that flower, I may have to plant some in my small garden in Colo. Hope thing warm up for you guys.

      Delete
  2. I think you are too hard on yourself! I blame the pandemic for the laziness you/me/everyone is feeling. It would be different, I'm sure, if we could get up and just go wherever and whenever we wanted. :D
    I think your flower is a cornflower.......maybe I should have read Marlene's comment first. She'll know better than I. It is pretty no matter what it is. That puzzle looks fun too. I'd be safe since I don't like donuts. 🧩

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy, I feel better now! I looked Daisy Bush up online and it's a thing - the thing. So easy and so pretty. Generally speaking sweets don't appeal much to me either, I'm a big carnivore and cheese-aholic, but after a while I was drooling over a few of these, lol.

      Delete